TUTORIAL || Galina "Red" Reznikov [Orange Is The New Black]



Hands up those of you that watch Orange Is The New Black. *Raises hand* Now, hands up those of you that watch it for Kate Mulgrew. *Raises hand again* I have been a fan of Kate Mulgrew since I was eleven-years-old and I'm twenty-six now so that's a lot of years of loyal lovin'. From Star Trek: Voyager, I followed Kate's career to her current role as Galina 'Red' Reznikov in the smash and cult hit on Netflix, Orange Is The New Black. For this week's Fandom Friday, I decided that I would be adventurous and experiment with Red's make-up from this promotional shot.


The beautiful and merciful thing about Red's make-up is that it isn't perfect. It isn't a perfect flick at the corner of the eye and the eyeshadow isn't flawlessly blended. That's a small mercy for me as I'm still learning and even when I thought this was going to look like a hot mess, it actually looked okay. It's not what I would consider an everyday look because of the inverted lower lash flick but it's a fun look to try out. 

Also, when doing this look, I used all drugstore make-up because in prison, you have to work with what you can afford. Just to note, I used my own hair colour for my eyebrows because it would just look weird if I made my eyebrows red and kept my hair as fair as it is. As always, if you have any comments, questions or concerns, feels free to contact me. 

Make-up Used: 
Primer: Rimmel Fix & Perfect Pro
Foundation: Rimmel Match Perfection Foundation - Ivory
Concealer: Rimmel Wake Me Up Concealer - Ivory
Powder: Rimmel Stay Matte Powder - Transparent
Blush: Maybelline Dream Touch Cream Blush - 02
Eyeshadow: Wet N Wild Mono Shadow - Nutty/Noisette
                     Make Up Revolution Ultimate Palette
Eyeliner: Rimmel ScandalEyes Gel Liner - Black
Eyebrows: Rimmel Brow This Way - Blonde
Mascara: Maybelline The Rocket Volum Express
Lipstick: Wet N Wild E529B Copper Dust
               Rimmel Moisture Renew Lipstick - 360 As You Want Victoria 
Tools Used:  
EcoTools Dup Eye Enhancer Double Ended Brush - Blend Side
EcoTools Duo Eye Enhancer Double Ended Brush - Shade Side
Real Techniques Deluxe Crease Brush
Real Techniques Buffing Brush
Real Techniques Pointed Foundation Brush
Real Techniques Contour Brush
Real Techniques Detailer Brush
Real Technqiues Brow Brush
Sephora Italia Angled Eyeliner Brush

                                                   FACE






01 - To prime my skin, I took some of my Rimmel Fix & Perfect Pro and blended that all over my skin with my fingers. In prison, I doubt that Red would use primer (but I don't know her make-up routine or what skin type she has) but my skin was acting up and I thought that a primer would create a nice barrier.
02 - As always, for foundation I used Rimmel's Match Perfection in Ivory and buffed that into my skin with my Real Techniques Buffing brush. You can blended your foundation in with your fingers, but everyone is different and you do you, Boo!
03 - To hide to aforementioned trouble spots with my skin, I used Rimmel's Wake Me Up concealer in Ivory and placed it under my eyes and forehead. I blended that in with my Real Techniques Pointed Foundation brush. Once again, you can use your fiingers to blend this in. Personal preference and all that good stuff.
04 - Before setting everything, I took a cream blush from Maybelline (Dream Touch Blush 02) and dabbed that onto my cheeks. Normally I would've blended this in with my middle finger but since it was clean, I took my Real Techniques Deluxe Crease brush and blended the blush in. I did this to keep similar textures together - a cream blush would not sit well on a powder surface.
05 - To set everything I used my Rimmel Stay Matte pressed powder in Transparent on my Real Techniques Contour Brush.


EYES




01 - To cancel out the blueness of my eyelids, I took some of that aforementioned Rimmel concealer and blended it in using the Deluxe Crush brush with some of the pressed powder from a previous step to set it.
02 - From Make Up Revolution's Ultimate Eyeshadow Palette, I took the dark blue shadow that I'm pointing to on my Real Techniques Brow Brush and applied that to my upper lashline before inverting the brush and creating a flick. You can make the flick as big and as thick as you want for this look. Remember, it doesn't have to be neat! 
03 - I darkened up the line by taking my Rimmel ScandalEyes gel liner on a Sephora angled liner brush and traced over that blue line. Don't trace over the entire blue line, you still want some of that blue to come through. If you do, just take some more of that eyeshadow again and go back over it.




04 - Line your lower lashline with that gel liner. If you're uncomfortable using gel liner there, you can use a pencil or eyeshadow. Again, it doesn't have to be perfect. 
05 - Then, I turned my brush upside down and drew a line downwards, following through the natural line of my upper lashline. It's basically the opposite of the way you'd do a regular cat flick. I had to clean this line up multiple times with some concealer because it was just too messy. I've never drawn a wing there before!
06 - To give my eyebrows some shape, I took my Rimmel Brow This Way tinted eyebrow gel in Blonde and brushed it through my eyebrows. 
07 - To contour my eyes a smidge, I took Nutty/Noisette from Wet N Wild on an Eco Tools Duo Eye Enhancer brush and blended that only into my crease, making sure that there was no harsh edge. 
08 - Curl those eye lashes. For mascara I used Maybelline's The Rocket Volum Express mascara on both my top and bottom lashes. I only really applied this to the outer half of my lashes, don't take it in too far. The intensity of Red's eyelashes is concentrated at the corners.


LIPS


01 - Red's shade of lipstick was difficult to pinpoint but I used two lipsticks in combination to achieve what I think is a good Red-esque shade. I took Copper Dust from Wet N Wild first and applied that to my lips.
02 - On my Real Techniques Detailer Brush, I took As You Want Victoria from Rimmel and applied that on top of the base colour. You can apply it straight from the bullet if you want but I prefered to not mix colour as As You Want Victoria is one of my favourite lipsticks. 

And you're done. You're officially Red. But as you'll tell from the pictures below, I can't pull off that Death Glare that Red can so effortlessly do. 







Thank you so much for stopping by and for checking out this post. I hope that this has given you some inspiration for a make-up look that you would like to try. Red's look was very much an experiment to me with that intensity at the outer corners with the cat and inverted flicks and not to mention the blue eyeliner! That was certainly something new to me but it was a lot of fun to do at the same time.

I hope you all have a wonderful weekend.


Comments

Popular Posts