The Glasses Menagerie


I wear glasses. That's a fact and there isn't anything that I can do about it. I have contact lenses and I'm not eligible for laser eye surgery because of my prescription. I can't help it that I need. I wasn't born with 20-20 vision. The only way I'm ever going to have 20-20 written on anything to do with my eyes is when it is in the year 2020, so I have 6 years to wait for that one. Also, I have perfect 20-20 vision when it comes to hindsight. Ha.

Even though I have contact lenses, my glasses are the first thing that I reach for in the morning, they are the first thing that I reach for when I take my contact lenses out and my glasses are the last thing that I take off before turning the light out to go to sleep at night. I need glasses to see. It's as simple as that. I need them when I'm reading. I need them when I'm watching television and when I'm driving. I need them. Period. 


As a child and into my cautionary first few years as an adult, I was always acutely aware of the fact that I wore glasses because I wore them all.the.time. I wore them in class, going out, during P.E. (depending on the activity - swimming is an obvious no!). I have been wearing glasses since Primary One, since I was five-years-old and I've heard every taunt possible as the frames available weren't particularly fashionable back in the day. I always went for gold-looking frames because I'm fair skinned and blonde - it suited. Nothing more.

Furthermore, my prescription is a strong one and as a result, my lenses magnify my eyes and eye area. Whenever I first tried mascara, I saw every single lash that I had. I hated it! I felt so self-conscious and that everybody was going to be staring at these black towers attached to my eyelids. I was aware of people being able to see every sinew of my eyeball as well, including the flash of a vein on my left eyeball. I know that you all wanted to know that.

I'm not self-conscious any more.






I have two pairs of glasses. The first pictured frames are from Optical Express's own line of eye wear and they're my Everyday pair because I wear them, funnily enough, every day. How original, Kazzie! I reach for them when I wake up, when I'm working and when I'm lazing about the house. They're a nice deep purple colour and that is unlike anything that I've ever worn before in glasses. I was initially terrified about trying something so different, scared that they'd be so stark again my fair features and stick out like a sore thumb. But they compliment my hair colour and skin nicely and an added bonus is that they suit everything that I wear.



My second pair are my Fancy glasses. They're the ones that I pick out when I'm going out for a night or to an occasion that requires dressing up smartly. I first wore these to my cousin's wedding a few weeks after I got them last year. They're from Guess and they have a beautiful gold detail at the hinge of the leg. I love how detailed and edgy the detailing looks, verging on a vintage vibe, and all highlighted by the added sparkle from the little diamanté embellishments at either side. The warm brown tone of the frames compliment my skin tone and hair colour beautifully.



That's me attempting to model my glasses. I'm not used to having photos taken with my glasses on so this is definitely out of my comfort zone. I usually hold them in my hand out of shot or with my arm awkwardly behind my back. I'm not a model and I don't have the HBIC (that's Head-Bitch-In-Charge) quality as the women pictured below do.


I'm actually quite proud of my glasses. Yes, there are days when I wake up and wish that I didn't have to wear them - those are the days when I reach for my contact lenses and I can see what I look like without these legged glass ovals sitting in the groove that it has created on my nose over the past twenty odd years. There is a surge in the popularity of glasses, more as a fashion accessory than a necessity but I'm happy enough about that. My fancy pair are from Guess after all and I'm more accustomed to drooling over their shoes and watches than I am their glasses. I just won't be sporting hipster glasses any time soon. It also helps when your idols wear glasses and they just wear them so effortlessly and without a care in the world and they wear them like -well - like a freaking Boss. 

Wear your prescriptions with pride, people. 


Comments

Popular Posts