My Greek Silver Sterling Rings

 
 
If you've been looking closely at my makeup tutorials and posts talking about nail varnishes (which are few and far between), then you will have noticed that I wear the same rings on my fingers all the time. In this post, I'm going to share with you closer pictures of my rings and why I permanently wear them on my hands.
 


 
 
On my right hand is the first of my two rings. I bought this one first back in 2013 whilst on holiday. I bought it on the very last evening that I spent on the Royal Caribbean ship, Splendour of the Seas. I went to the shopping centre of the ship with my Mum to check out the final night sale. I kept returning to this ring in the boutique as the design really caught my eye and with a $20 price tag, I just couldn't turn away from it! It's a Greek silver sterling ring with the Greek key/Greek fret design cut into it. The main shape is moulded into a kind of V-crown shape. I wear it with the point facing towards me because I find that it feels more comfortable that way and looks nicer. Plus, at work I'm less likely to catch it on the shelves with it pointing the way that I have it.
 
I've always preferred silver jewellery as I feel that it compliments my pale skin.
 
 
 
My other ring is worn on the middle finger of my left hand. I bought this ring almost precisely a year later while on holiday on the same ship, Splendour of the Seas. It's a basic round Greek silver sterling ring with the same design cut into it.
 
Why did I two that are basically the same?
 
I have a great love for Greek jewellery and Greek mythology. Whilst on Splendour of the Seas, both times, I was extremely fortunate enough to visit several Greek islands and the Greece mainland itself. I was always more excited to visit Greece than any place else because I knew that I would be visiting places that would have such incredible history behind it. My username is Kazzie Athena. Athena is my favourite of the Greek goddesses and the mythology surrounding her really captured my imagination, and I have a fondness of owls and she is the Goddess of Wisdom, amongst other things - one of her symbols being the owl. Visiting the likes of Mykonos, Santorini, Kafalonia, Katakolon and Athens (to name a few), meant the absolute world to me because of my love for Greek mythology. I learnt so much at those places. I visited the Ancient Olympic stadium, the Parthenon in Athens and I soaked it all in. Therefore, when I saw the rings and the designs, I wanted to take a little bit of Greece home with me.
 
On a more random note, it links me to Star Trek in the most roundabout way. My favourite character in Star Trek: The Next Generation is Deanna Troi, played by Marina Sirtis. Marina is an absolute hoot. If you're a fan, watch her convention panels on YouTube and you'll see why I utterly adore her. I haven't met her but I would love to one day. To make my point and finally link this point altogether, Marina is Greek. Basically, that's it. Marina is Greek, she plays Deanna Troi in Star Trek: The Next Generation, one of my favourite fandoms. A slightly contrived connection but it works for me.
 
 
 
But what does the design mean?
 
I originally believed that it was a kind of infinity design because it could be repeated over and over - the shower guard on the shower in my bathroon has this design running around the outside of it. But some more research shows that it's a Key or Meander design and can represent a multitude of things, symbolising neverending bonds of love, friendship and devotion, also eternal life, the meander of life or endless creative energy. I guess it's all up to the wearer or designer to see what they see in the design. I personality like the idea of the infinity symbol, the neverending whether that is friendship, love, life or creativity.
 
I love these rings and I rarely, if ever, take them off. They are two of my most treasured items of jewellery collection. The next time you see them appear in a video or post, you'll know where I got them and why I wear them constantly.
 
 

Comments

Popular Posts