MY FAVOURITE COMFORT READS


Over the last four years, I've fallen in love with reading. I've always liked to read but I never found that genre or that book that really made me want to read. I took English at GCSE, A-Level and on to university and read a lot of books that I hated, and read some of them multiple times for essays or exams. Imagine my delight when I found books that I loved and that I loved to read over and over. In this blog post, I share with you the books that I love to read over and over.


MISS PEREGRINE'S HOME FOR PECULIAR CHILDREN - RANSOM RIGGS

The original trilogy is what I credit to being the first books that really made me become a reader. This trilogy captured my imagination in a way that no other books have before or since. I loved the entire concept of the book. I loved that Riggs created this whole world around vintage photographs that he collects. I fell completely head over heels into this wold. It reminded me a lot of one of my favourite shows, 'Sanctuary.' I could easily see Miss Peregrine knowing Helen Magnus and using the loops to protect Abnormals/Peculiars. 

I first saw the movie poster in a cinema in Belfast, recognised Eva Green, and was intrigued. I saw the book in Waterstone's and bought it to see if it would tickle my fancy. I finished the book in one day. I couldn't wait to get up to Belfast to read on, so I got the ebook and devoured the next two books in mere days. I have read the first book four times already and every time, I read it faster and fall even more in love with it. I simply love it. When I feel a reading slump coming on or if I can't think of something that I want to read, I reach for Miss Peregrine's. I will say that I would love a book solely about Miss P. 



THE GRISHA TRILOGY - LEIGH BARDUGO

I had heard about The Grisha Trilogy since the day and hour that I discovered the online book community. Most people were mainly talking about the 'Six of Crows' duology. Some people said that you didn't need to read the original trilogy before reading the duology but I wanted to read the first books. I'm so glad that I did. I loved the powers that these people have. Some abilities don't seem to be particularly special until you really get into the meat of the book and you discover the ins and outs of them. Who would've thought that wind powers could do that? That wasn't on Captain Planet! Like with Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children, this series captured my imagination and I loved linking it back to one of my favourite shows, 'Sanctuary.'  I felt like Alina's back story could explain Ashley Magnus's lack of ability. It really brought it to life. Plus, Siege and Storm introduced Nikolai, aka, the best character ever. 



BALLET SHOES - NOEL STREATFEILD

I originally read this because Emilia Fox starred in a movie adaptation alongside Emma Warson and Victoria Wood. Plus, it's also mentioned in one of my favourite movies of all time, 'YouUndoub've Got Mail.' A fangirl is as fangirl does so I read it and watched the adaptation, not necessarily in that order. I've read the book twice. The second time being early this year when I wanted to read something wholesome and Emilia Fox related. My favourite character is unsurprising, Sylvia Brown (Emilia's character). The only downside to the book is that there is no romance for Sylvia like in the movie; that was the most precious thing ever. He's stupidly married in the book. Ugh. 

Just look at those precious love birds. 

Undoubtedly, there will be more books added to this list as the years go on and I read more and more. For now, these are the books that I love to read repeatedly. What are some of your comfort reads? 


Comments

Popular Posts