HOPING TO READ AGAIN IN AUGUST


If you read my recent reading-related posts, you'll know the craic already. I'm in a slight reading slump. June and July were not to best reading months because I was consumed by drawing. In June, I worked on a massive project that took two weeks to do (a tracked time of 70 hours), and work asked me to paint a wall. Then in July, I was more interested in drawing and taking online drawing courses than I was in reading. I did read a collection of Disney art books. Okay, all of the books that I read in July were Disney related. Oops. Not sorry, though. So, what to do about August?

Over the past two months, when I haven't been drawing, I've been trying to read but my mind was itching to get back to drawing. It was thinking of this thing that it wants me to draw and that thing that it wants to try and draw. It simply wouldn't concentrate on reading an actual novel. Now, I can see the light at the end of the tunnel. I want to read now. My big project went out into the world a couple of weeks ago so I can relax and just draw for the craic - when haven't I been drawing for the craic? So, what do I want to read this month?

A U D I O B O O K S

I haven't listened to an audiobook since June. I tried listening to The Queen's Poisoner by Jeff Wheeler a few weeks ago at work and I instantly hated it. I didn't like the narrator at all. I tried upping the speed of the narration. That didn't do a darn thing and made me hate it. Also, the story wasn't particularly engaging. It began like a lot of Fantasy books start; failed war campaign, backed the wrong side, a child has to be handed over in compensation to be warded by the victor. Been there, done there, got the t-shirt for it. But I do have some audiobooks that are piquing my curiosity. 


GOLDEN SON - PIERCE BROWN
(RED RISING BOOK 2)
I listened to the audiobook for 'Red Rising' last year and absolutely loved it. This world is something else. Okay, it's Mars so it definitely is something else. But the way that this world acts and moves is fascinating. I loved everything that happened in Red Rising. It was dark, it was gritty and it was downright gruesome in parts. I LOVED IT. Naturally, I would continue on with it. Weirdly enough, I'm just realising that I listened to 'Red Rising' last July, and at the time of writing this post, I had just started listening to it. That's uncanny. 

ELANTRIS - BRANDON SANDERSON
This was Brandon Sanderson's debut novel. I have been slowly making my way through aaaaaall of Sanderson's books. This dude does not take a break. He is constantly releasing a new book. The man is non-stop. 


So, I'm working my way through his books and Elantris sounds fascinating. ⛛
The capital of Arelon, the home to people transformed into magic-using demigods by the Shaod.

But then the magic failed, Elantris started to rot, and its inhabitants turned into powerless wrecks.

And in the new capital, Kae, close enough to Elantris for everyone to be reminded of what they have lost, a princess arrives. Sarene is to be married to unite Teod and Arelon against the religious imperialists of Fjordell. But she is told that Raoden, her husband to be, is dead.

Determined to carry on the fight for Teod and Arelon's freedom, Sarene clashes with the high priest Hrathen. If Hrathen can persuade the populace to convert, Fjordell will reign supreme.

But there are secrets in Elantris, the dead and the ruined may yet have a role to play in this new world. Magic lives.

THE ALLOY OF LAW - BRANDON SANDERSON
MISTBORN BOOK 4
I just finished listening to book 3 of Mistborn at the end of June. I loved it. I couldn't believe how it ended.  It's a truly incredible world with the most fascinating magic system. I was originally intimidated by the magic system but it is not overwhelming. Thank you, Sanderson. So, I'm continuing on with the series and excited to find out what happens post-The Hero of Ages. It is set 300 years after the events of the original Mistborn trilogy. Definitely excited for this. 

B O O K S


THE RED PYRAMID - RICK RIORDAN
THE KANE CHRONICLES BOOK 1
I'm currently reading this one; I was reading it off and on throughout July. I am enjoying but as I said, my attention span just hasn't been there. Any time I picked this book up, my mind would just wander to what it wants to draw next. Cheers, Brain. But I will finish this book. I previously loved Riordan's Greek demigod series, Percy Jackson and the Olympians and the Heroes of Olympus. I devoured them. I have a fascination with Egyptian mythology and history too so I was very much wanting to get lost in this new world. Sadly, my brain just hasn't cooperated. I will finish this book in August.

BOOKISH AND THE BEAST - ASHLEY POSTON
ONCE UPON A CON BOOK 3
This book series is my guilty pleasure. It is me in a book series. I love these characters. I love how nerdy they are. I love how fangirly the girls are. I love the friendships that are made within these books. I feel so represented as a fangirl in these books. I devoured Geekerella and 'The Princess and the Fangirl' in the space of a day. I get lost in them. I start the book and I don't want to stop until I'm finished. If you can't tell from the book titles, these are retellings with the most spectacular nerdy twist that warms my heart. They are the complete antithesis of what I normally read. They are cute little rom-com but they talk about all of the fandoms that I love; Marvel, Star Trek, Star Wars, everything. Geekerella is a Cinderella retelling and 'The Princess and the Fangirl' is a retelling of 'The Prince and the Pauper.' I just love them and so I have high expectations going into 'Bookish and the Beast' - Beauty and the Beast, obviously. (I will admit that I forgot that I had this pre-ordered until I got the dispatch email. Ooops.)


These three are not necessarily the priorities of the month but they are ones that I would like to get to relatively soon.

HOUSE OF DRAGONS - JESSICA CLUESS
A battle for a crown between five houses? A magical character called 'Emilia'? Yes, please.

THE COURT OF MIRACLES - KESTER GRANT
A Les Mis inspired retelling/behind the scenes/Six of Crows (Leigh Bardugo) crossover style thing? I've never actually watched Les Mis... Shameful, I know. Admittedly, this book was 80% a cover buy because JUST LOOK AT IT. It is spectacular. I had this pre-ordered from Waterstone's and it arrived in the middle of my slumpish reading so it has sat staring at me. Read me. Read me. Read me. The other week I watched Disney's The Hunchback of Notre Dame and it features The Court of Miracles so I'm hoping that this has some ties to that or perhaps draws some inspiration from it. Who knows?

CROWN OF MIDNIGHT - SARAH J. MAAS
THRONE OF GLASS BOOK 2
I enjoyed Throne of Glass when I read it earlier this year. I was incredibly frustrated with Maas's writing style but I kept reminding myself that it was a debut novel. This whole series is widely loved online and so I want to see what the craic is with it. It seems right up my alley and as I said, I enjoyed the first book. But what really sold me on this series with House of Earth and Blood, the first book in Maas' newest series, Crescent City. That book completely blew my mind and made me sit up and pay attention to Maas. If that book is any indication of how her writing evolved and matures, then I am very intrigued to see what is in store. 

So there you have it. These are the books that I would like to potentially read in August. It's quite late in the month by the time this goes live so hopefully, I'll have knocked some off the list by then/now. 


Comments

Popular Posts