I OWN MULTIPLE COPIES OF THESE BOOKS


Before I started to read and collect books, I used to do two things; I used to balk at buying hardback books over paperback books (why spend £5 extra for the same book?) and I used to abhor the idea of buying one than one copy of a book. What was the point?


Well... now, I'm one of those people. I prefer hardback books over paperback and I have multiple copies of the same book. I did a video on Youtube a few years ago on this topic but I thought that I would share it with my blog because there are even more books of which I have more than one edition. Also, I'm pretty certain that I've forgotten some... Click to read more...
 

I originally read 'Ballet Shoes' in the left edition in paperback and then I found the right-hand one for £1 in an Oxfam bookshop. I couldn't resist it. Fangirl priority because Emilia Fox stars in the BBC adaptation of it and it is mentioned in one of my favourite movies of all time, 'You've Got Mail.'

   

I originally bought 'Rebecca' in the paperback before reading it in the hardback. I loved the book so much that I bought the illustrated Folio Society edition from eBay. It's simply stunning. I absolutely loved this book. It took a while for me to get into it but once it got going, I was hooked. I highly recommend this book in any edition. Fangirl priority #2 because Emilia Fox starred in an adaptation alongside Charles Dance.

 

'Strange the Dreamer' was the first book that I consciously bought one than one edition of because I have 3 editions. I bought a paperback in the airport shop, then I saw the hardback edition in Waterstone's with the blue sprayed edges. I immediately bought it there and then. A year later, the paperback edition came out with the new cover and I bought it. I didn't buy the paperback of the sequel, 'Muse of Nightmares.'

  
  

I fell in love with the cover changes for the paperback editions of the Grisha trilogy. I wasn't the biggest fan of the original covers. I appreciated what they were going for with the design and the inherent Russian inspiration for the story. But it just wasn't speaking to the heart of the story like the new covers do. I only have them in paperback but now the entire series is being released again as Collector's Editions. I'm torn between getting the US version or the UK one. But the UK one ties in better with the UK collector's editions of the Six of Crows duology. Speaking of which...

 
 

I LOVE this duology. It is simply amazing. I know that it's like Marmite. You either love it or you hate it. When I originally read it, I sat up to 3am reading it because I couldn't put it down. Also, it's the only book that I have where I was able to read in the car without getting motion sickness. It's so amazing. Both editions are in hardback. I specifically bought it originally in hardback with the sprayed edges.

 

I have two editions of 'King of Scars' by Leigh Bardugo. I pre-ordered a signed edition from Waterstone's and then bought a special edition from Barnes and Noble when I was in New York City in 2019. There isn't much of a difference between the two books. The B&N one just has some extra material.

 

Yes, that's right. One book in English and one in Spanish. I want to read more in Spanish and I figure that having some of my favourite books in Spanish will help that... I haven't read a single book in Spanish...yet.

  

One hardback, one Spanish hardback, and one paperback. Three editions of the one book. I loved the first book in the Caraval series so much that I just had to pick it up in other editions. I had tried to find it at Barcelona airport but to no avail. Amazon.es came through though.

 

I did like 'Legendary' after reading 'Caraval' and so wanted to add the paperback edition to the collection. This is where the paperback edition collection stopped for this series because I simply did not like 'Finale'. I own it in hardback but I will not purchase it in paperback.

   

I originally bought the entire 'A Song of Ice and Fire' series in mismatching sized paperback editions. I didn't really care about continuity back then because I just wanted to read them. I'm fixing that now by getting the stunning illustrated editions. The covers are perfect for this series and the artwork between the covers is simply stunning.

 

This one happened quite by accident. I bought the one on the right from eBay thinking that it was the one on the left. The listing had the cover image of the left one. The one on the right arrived much to my annoyance. However, it was a lovely floppy edition so I decided to keep it as my 'borrow' edition and keep the hardback edition, with the gorgeous cover, as my pristine one.

  
  
  

The Inkworld trilogy is one of my favourite book series of all time. I simply devoured these books and they are looooong books. They aren't short despite the fact that they're in the 9-12 age section in Waterstone's. I love this series so much that I've purchased three editions of the trilogy and I have 4 editions of the first book, Inkheart,, including a first English edition hardback (that someone wrote in but for £2 in a charity shop, I couldn't say no to it).

  
  

Yes, I have about 5 editions of Matilda by Roald Dahl and I'm looking to get the Spanish edition of it too. I love this story. I read it again recently as an adult and completely fell in love with it all over again. I read it as a child in P.6 and I remember drawing Matilda in Quentin Blake's style. My teacher loved it and asked me to draw it again for a wall display. I already had the book, then I purchased 2 of the 30th-anniversary editions and then a paperback one from my local supermarket. Theeeeen, a new edition came to my collection with the Waterstone's exclusive edition with additional bonus material and new sketches from Quentin Blake.


 

The 'Villains' duology-not-duology is incredible. These books are two of my favourite books of all time. They are the most intense ride ever. I originally had the UK paperback edition (which is currently being lent out to a colleague) and upgraded to the collector's editions in the US and UK covers. I definitely prefer the aesthetic of the US covers (the top ones) over the UK ones. I love what the UK covers are doing but there's something enticing about the US covers. Nevertheless, these books are beyond captivating. They suck you in from the word 'go'. They hit the ground running and they never let up until the very end and even then, you're left wanting more. 'Vengeful' was amazing because it introduced one of my favourite female characters of all time; Marcella. That is all that I am going to say about this character. Simply, Marcella.


Having a duplicate set of 'The Hunger Games' happened quite by accident. I didn't even know that the foil editions existed until one fateful trip to Waterstone's. I saw the red foil of 'Catching Fire' on the shelf and simply could not resist it. 'Catching Fire' is my favourite book from the trilogy and was happy enough to have a duplicate of it. Then I spotted the foiled 'Mockingjay' edition in a charity shop for £2. How could I pass up adding that to the collection? Then, I figured that I might as well complete the set and bought a copy of 'The Hunger Games' from eBay.


This was another accident because the second edition came from my mother. She was in Poundland one day and was persuing the books when 'The Shadow of the Wind' caught her eye. I was helping her unpack the groceries and lifted out the book. I told her that I already had this book and that it is one of my favourites. Once she finished reading it (and loved it), she gave me her copy to add to my collection.


I just wanted the collector's edition. It was on sale on Amazon and I couldn't put it off any longer. I wanted to get ACOTAR series in the hardback covers but I figured that I would put that off and get the collector's editions instead. 

There you have it, guys. Those are all of the books of which I have multiple editions. I know that it's a lot. It's a lot, right? I know. I have become one of those people that collects books and loves a good hardback book.

Do you have any books in your collection that you have bought a second edition of or are you normal?


Comments

Popular Posts