You're Never Too Old For...


Anything. You're never too old for anything. Except for maybe assault courses for toddlers and you can't fit anywhere. That may be where you'll have to draw the line. Maybe. But back to what this post is about... Have you ever been told, 'You're too old to be liking that'? or 'You still like that?'? I have had people say that to me so many times and they've said it with that look on their faces. You know the look. The condescending one that basically says that they're more grown up than you and that they're basically better than you because they've 'grown out' of Disney or comic books or video games. Well, good for them. But I have no intention of growing out of those things. You wanna know why?

Because, I don't want to. 



I am currently twenty-seven-years-old, with no children or boyfriend/husband, and I love nothing more than curling up in a blanket with a cup of tea (or a glass of wine) and watching a good old Disney movie - new movies and old school movies alike - or with my Looney Tunes DVD boxet. I have a vast amount of them on DVD (oldies too on VHS) and I find no shame in them whatsoever. I love Disney movies and was raised on Looney Tunes and Hanna Barbera cartoons. I love watching them. They're funny. They're witty. Plus, truth be told, I'm at an old where I actually understand that jokes that are being made in them. Some of the humour is very complex. Yes, I laughed when I was little but I had no idea what I was laughing at until now. It's crazy to think that I'm only grasping the punchline 20 or thirty years after it was made. It's timeless and I love it. 


I also love to look at the artistry of them. I'm constantly blown away by their attention to detail on large and small landscapes. The animators that they have working for them are truly gifted artists and I find myself appreciating everything a lot more as an adult. 

You will never be too old to appreciate a good movie, even if it is animated with a talking dog. My mother loves movies with a talking dog in it. I will never ever tell her that she's 'too old' to be watching it. As long as it makes her happy and it brings some light to her day, what does it matter to me that it was made for a young demographic? As long as it makes her happy. 

The same goes for me and Disney, Looney Tunes or Marvel cartoons. If it makes me happy, it shouldn't matter to anyone else if I love it. At the end of the day, if it brings me happiness and I find it entertaining, I will never be too old for anything. I may just be drinking wine instead of juice when I'm watching it. 



Have you ever been told that you're 'too old' to enjoy something? If they do, you don't need that kind of negativity in your life. 




All gifs are from giphy.com

Comments

Popular Posts