The Morning After The Night Before



I am not a morning person. I never have been and I probably won't ever become one. I love my bed too much. I especially love my bed when I've been out the night before and I've had a feeeeeew too many drinks. We've all been there. Don't deny it. Why would I want to venture beyond the duvet when I'm so snug and comfortable in bed? But with a hangover, it's takes more persuading to get up. Here are my hangover helpers and how I survive. 


In recent months, a night out is a rare occasion. I think the last time that I was out on the rag was back in September and oh boy, did I suffer the next day. 6am Sunday shifts tend to be a booze-block and I want to get a least some sleep. But when I get a Sunday off, I have a habit to go a little overboard. Hands up those that have been guilty of that. 




Sometimes when I do have a hangover, waking up is like being hit in the face with sunlight, even with the curtains drawn. I feel like I'm Katharine Hepburn in The Phildelphia Story when Tracy comes down and steps foot outside and the sun just hits her eyes. 





T E L E V I S I O N



DVDs and Sunday TV are my bread and butter for a hangover day. When I'm hungover, I love nothing more than curling up in bed, or on my bed with a blanket and watching TV whether or not I'm watching something that's on, marathoning DVDs or Netflix. At the moment, my favourite things to watch on these days are My Little Pony (don't judge), Dr. Quinn: Medicine Woman or classic movies featuring Katharine Hepburn - there seems to be an accidental theme to this post. It's supposed to be about hangover helpers and all I've mentioned is Katharine Hepburn. Oh well. 


F O O D



When your stomach feels like it is a washing machine on spin cycle, the last thing on your mind is food. You feel like you're going to be like the little kid in The Exorcist. You think that you can barely stomach plain, dry toast never-mind anything else. But honestly, there are days when I've foregone food until around dinner time and it makes me feel a million times better. It instantly rejuvenates me. I wonder why it took me so long to do it when I could've felt better so much earlier instead of prolonging my misery. Eat. The greasier. The better. If I lived in Belfast, I'd be making a bee-line for Boojum or Build-A-Burger. I've been to both places with a hangover and they are sure fire helpers. 


V I T A M I N   C



This may be a bit of a random one but I'm always craving orange juice when I'm battling a hangover. It's the strangest thing. But it kind of makes sense because I'm obviously lacking something (besides water). Ergo, cravings. I love taking a nice cold glass of smooth orange juice whilst curled up in a blanket, watching TV with food. 


SELF REPAIR & RENOVATION


If I do venture out from beyond the duvet, I do apply a little bit of makeup. I'm talking the lightest foundation coverage possible applied with my fingers with a little powder to set it, a little bronzer and a touch of mascara. It makes me look a little bit life-like and not like death warmed up. As pale as I am, a hangover makes me look like something from The Walking Dead. Legit, zombie. I would reach for the Body Shop's Fresh Nude Foundation and then set it with Rimmel's Stay Matte transparent powder (using a brush). Bronzer, maybe, Makeup Geek's warm porcelain contour powder and a bit of mascara. Brows will forgive me for getting less attention on hangover days. 

The hair situation? Ponytail. Simple, no fuss, no muss, ponytail.

Also, a nice shower helps immensely. A shower always makes me feel better and if I wash my hair, watch out. I'll feel like a superhero with a L'Oreal hair-swish contract. Brushing your teeth with help with that sewer breath that will have been brewing since the night before/early morning hours that you fell into bed and were probably too inebriated to brush those gnashers. Been there. 


B E D



Bed, bed, bed, bed, bed! I hate having to leave my bed when I'm hungover. My bed is so comfortable and toasty warm. Why would I want to leave that, get dressed and face the rest of the house? Have you ever woken up with hangover in the winter months and the heat hasn't been on in a while? It's unbearably cold. The only thing that will make me want to move, for at least an hour after waking up, is the toilet and even then, that's a task stumbling from the bed to the bathroom. Walls seem to come out of nowhere.

Also, alcohol induced sleep isn't the most sound. Sometimes I'll wake up once or twice in the middle of the night only to find that it's only 2:30am or 4:21am. Cue turning over and basking in knowing that I can sleep some more, even if it isn't immediate. 




With a dodgy stomach, I do curl up in an iddy-biddy ball, like a foetus, wrapped in my duvet and just watch TV. I hope that there are enough episodes on a disc, or that a movie is long enough that I don't have to get up and change a disc over for a few hours. I'm lazy, what can I say? Plus, I can take a nap. Oh yes, naps are important when hungover. Sleeping for 12 hours wasn't enough, a nap is required. 


There you have it, my hangover survival tips. What are some of you ways to handle a hangover? If you're looking for any other tips and tricks for dealing with a hangover, check out this page on Casper, the mattress people's site. 




Disclaimer: Casper asked me to create this post for my blog. I was not compensated in any way for creating this post or for featuring anything. I genuinely love Katharine Hepburn, haha. All opinions are my own. 

All gifs are from giphy.com

Comments

Popular Posts