Get the Look || Helen Magnus [Sanctuary]


Hey everyone, welcome back to my blog and to this week's Fandom Friday post! This post had been drafted for a while because some parts were either low in stock or sold out. I randomly checked back and, hallelujah, the main piece was back in stock! I spied the jacket and knew that I just had to do an outfit post around it. As a result, this Get The Look post for Helen Magnus' promotional picture outfit from season 1 of Sanctuary was born. 
I loved this outfit on Amanda Tapping. She looked like a total badass in this outfit and looks like she will cut you down if you even so much as blinked at her in the wrong way. I was obsessed with the jacket when I first started watching Sanctuary back in 2007 when I was in university. When Magnus wore this coat, you knew that she wasn't going to take any crap from anyone and that the big guns were going to come out at some point. It's beautifully tailored on her, showing off her waist, and the red trim added a hint of glam and colour to an otherwise monochromatic outfit.

The trousers and boots combo are also insane on Amanda. She is insanely tall - well, compared to me - and her legs look like they go on forever with those boots. Those boots look like they could do some damage. They look like she can kick your ass in one swift move but also, look fabulous whilst doing so.  Below are some clothing pieces that I think would embody this look beautifully if you want to get Magnus' look. Plus, it'll keep you warm during these later weeks of Winter.


Jacket || Black Leather Look Fur Waterfall Jacket || New Look || £32.00
Top || Rib Jumper || George at Asda || £12.00
Trousers || Black High Waisted Super Soft Skinny Jeans || New Look || £22.99
Boots || Black Shearling Cuff Knee High Biker Boots || New Look || £20.00

Most of this Get The Look just so happened to be from New Look and all at really good prices. Some are reduced down and on sale - the jacket and boots are reduced in price so snatch them up while you can!

Magnus' makeup in these promotional shoots wasn't anything spectacular because she's in her ghoul-hunting gear and she's looking pretty badass. She's got her Head-B*tch-In-Charge boots on and she's ready to send some mother to meet its maker. So, the woman can't be worried about her makeup or spending a lot of time putting on her face. 

So to achieve this effortless and what you could call a 'No-Makeup-Makeup-Look' this is what I would do and use - just to note, I have purchased these products myself or been gifted them at Christmas.

  • Makeup: 
  • L'Oreal Infallible Mattifying Primer
  • Rimmel Match Perfection Foundation - Ivory
  • Collection Lasting Perfection Concealer - Fair
  • Bourjois Healthy Balance Unifying Powder - Vanilla
  • Urban Decay Naked Flushed Palette - Streak *Use bronzer
  • Sleek Blush - Rose Gold
  • Wet N Wild Mono Eyeshadow - Nutty/Noisette
  • MAC Powerpoint Eye Pencil - Bountiful Brown
  • Soap & Glory Archery 2 in 1 Eyebrow Pencil - BlondeShell
  • ELF Brow & Lash Clear Mascara
  • Revlon Lash Potion - Blackened Brown
  • Revlon ColorBurst Balm Stain - Honey
  • Tools: 
  • Seventeen Eyeshadow Brush
  • Real Techniques Buffing Brush
  • Real Techniques Contour Brush
  • Real Techniques Powder Brush
  • Real Techniques Blush Brush
  • Real Techniques Deluxe Crease Brush
  • No7 Contour & Highlight Brush


COMPLEXION & LIPS

  • I primed my face with the L'Oreal Infallible Mattifying primer. This stuff is awesome. I thought that it would have a more gel-like texture but it isn't too thick so a little can go a long way with this stuff.


  • As always, I'm using my Rimmel Match Perfection Foundation and I've gotta into a routine of dotting it over my face before buffing it in with my Real Techniques Buffing Brush.


  • To hide those dark circles and to brighten my undereye area - because Magnus' skin is flawless for someone that is 157-years-old - thank you, Source Blood anti-aging properties - I used my Collection Lasting Perfection Concealer. I blended this in with my Real Techniques Deluxe Crease Brush. I patted the concealer into my side, moving it towards my temples and onto my eyelids as this will act as a primer for my eye makeup.


  • Then to set everything so that it doesn't slip and slide and crease, I used my Bourjois Healthy Balance powder on my Real Techniques Contour Brush around my T-zone before moving to my Real Techniques Powder Brush for the rest of my face. This stuff really mattifies and makes my skin look flawless. Love this stuff.


  • Next, Magnus has a gorgeous and warm face and I used the bronzer from my Urban Decay Naked Flushed palette on my No7 Contour & Highlight brush and went around my face blending it in.



  • I love blush and I can't do a look without blush and I've been loving this Rose Gold blush from Sleek. I used another Real Techniques Blush Brush and lightly applied that to the applies of my cheek. This gives the cheeks a beautiful glow.


  • To finish off this look, I used my Revlon ColorBurst balm stain in Honey.

EYES

  • I've already primed my eyelids with the concealer because it cancels out the redness and veins so I just used some of the Bourjois powder to set the liquid.
  • Magnus has little to no eye makeup on for these promotional shoots so I took my Wet N Wild Mono Nutty/Noisette eyeshadow on my Seventeen Eyeshadow Brush and applied it to my crease just to contour that area. I blended it in really well so that it was just noticeable.


  • Then I took my MAC Powerpoint Eye Pencil in Bountiful Brown and applied that to my tightline and waterline.
  • I then applied that eyeliner to my upper lashline, going along the outer third of my eye and then blending it out with that Seventeen eyeshadow brush.


  • I then curled my eyelashes and applied my Revlon Lash Potion mascara to top and bottom lashes.


  • To fill in my brows, because Magnus has beautifully sculpted eyebrows, I used my Soap & Glory Archery pencil. I brushed through them first usiing the spoolly end and then fillwed them in using the pencil end. Then I set them using my ELF Clear Brow mascara.








There you have it, a very Helen Magnus inspired no-makeup-makeup look that will be perfect for ghoul hunting wherever you are or if you're not ghoul hunting, it's great for every day things. I hope you enjoyed this tutorial and outfit look. If there is any look that you would like to see, please feel free to comment and let me know.

Comments

Popular Posts