FOX WEEK || TOP 5 EMILIA FOX ROLES


To continue 'Fox Week' on my blog, I'm going to talk about my favourite roles that Emilia Fox has played in her career. Some of these may not surprise some of you that know me and some of the ordering may surprise others. I have watched my way through quite a bit of her filmography. I remember having a printed out sheet from IMDB of Kate Mulgrew, Mary McDonnell and Emilia Fox's film credits and highlighting those that I had watched. That was a long time ago. Anyway, on to the roles.

5.  J E A N N I E  - (RANDALL & HOPKIRK (DECEASED))

Fifth place could've gone to a handful of characters that Emilia Fox has played over the years but I went with Jeannie because this is the role where you really get to see Emilia in a comic role.

Jeannie is sassy, brave and really very funny when bouncing off of Randall. I recently watched the series (most of the second season) and really loved it. The characters get into the most insane and crazy situations. Jeannie is a character unlike anything that we've really seen Emilia in or since. Yes, there are shows with fantastical elements and magic but this was something completely bonkers; a machine that tried to kill her through orgasms? Yes, you read that right. Bonkers, right?


4.  S A M     V I N C E N T  -  (DELICIOUS)

Sam Vincent. I binge-watched Delicious back in November and I instantly loved this character. Biasedly, of course.

Sam is glamorous but she's underestimated because of that. Sam is an intelligent businesswoman. She knows what the hotel needs but every other character dismisses her ideas because they still see her as 'the other woman' who is a pretty face. They turn around and do things their way and get better results. I feel like Sam is the character that I relate to the most; I had my head down at school, I did everything by the book and didn't get the results that that method promised whereas everyone else who lived life flying by the seat of their pants and making it up as they went along got the best results. Then, when I try to do the same thing, I spectacularly crash and burn. That's how I felt with Sam.

Sam deserved so much better in the show. Sam deserved so much better. The other characters consistently lied to her, manipulated her and lied to her some more. When Sam finally did something for herself, they manipulated her back or plotted to change her mind because they realised how much they needed her. They did it for themselves, not for her. The other characters annoyed me greatly in this series. They were not likeable people ultimately. I ended up feeling fiercely protective of Sam. Can you tell?



3.  D R.   N I K K I     A L E X A N D E R - (SILENT WITNESS)

I expect that most people would have expected Nikki to be ranked higher. Considering that Emilia Fox has 83 credits as an actress on IMDB, being in 3rd place isn't something to be sniffed at. Nikki is one of my favourite characters of all time, there is no doubt about that; she's smart, she's stubborn, she's loyal, she's damaged, she's brave and everything that I want to be. Well, maybe not the damaged part. I have that down to a T.

I love this role for the stretching that it gave Emilia's acting muscles. When you see her in her first season and then compare it to season 20 epsiode, 'Awakening', you can see just how much Emilia has developed as an actress. A lot of the characters of this list have benefitted from her tenure on Silent Witness and vice-versa. What she has learnt from these new roles have been assimilated back into Nikki (maybe not so much Vanessa and Morgause).

Nikki is the character that I watch the most. Silent Witness is on every night on Drama (at the moment) and I watch them into the wee hours of the morning. Nikki is my comfort zone. She's the role I go to when I need a little pick me up. She's my happy place.

2. V A N E S S A    H A M I L T O N - (THE TUNNEL: SABOTAGE)

This is probably where most people would have expected to have seen Nikki's name. Sorry to disappoint. Nikki is my consistent favourite. She's always there and I love her in the long-run. But Vanessa is something else.

Vanessa is a character completely unlike anything that you've ever seen Emilia Fox play. She's the ultimate femme fatale with the killer heels and a cigarette permanently attached to her fingers. Vanessa is dark. Vanessa is heartless. Vanessa is selfish. Vanessa is what I think Morgause could've been in a modern age (Emilia even does the Morgause smirk and has the thick eyeliner and nude lipstick like Morgause). There is something so deliciously evil about Vanessa and I don't just mean those epic shoes. Her storyline was exciting. That's why she's ranked so high for me. She's exciting and different and she captures my imagination. I just love her for how much Emilia had to step out of the box to play her. She's the complete antithesis of Emilia. That's probably why I love Vanessa so much. 

1. M O R G A U S E - (THE ADVENTURES OF MERLIN)

This should not surprise anyone. Yes, Morgause is my favourite role. She is one of my favourite characters ever (pre-season 3.5).  Morgause was the first role that I ever really knew Emilia Fox to play. I knew of 'Silent Witness' and of Emilia Fox when I was watching Merlin air, so when I saw her name appear in the episode, I was instantly intrigued. I was thinking, "That's the girl from Silent Witness? Huh???".

I fell in love with Morgause from the get-go. As soon as she appeared, I knew that she would be a truly formidable character. To this day, ten years later, Morgause is still the character where I cannot see any part of Emilia in her. You know when you watch an actor and you see a previous character in them or their most well-known character in them? I'm thinking of the Friends cast, here. I do not get that with Morgause. The way that Emilia Fox holds herself, moves and speaks as Morgause, it's unlike anything she has ever done with any other character (until Vanessa). Even now, when I watch the show again, I don't see Nikki, I don't see Sam or Jeannie in Morgause. I don't even see or even hear Emilia. 

Though I will say that I have a love/hate relationship with the Morgause of season 3. I hate the second half of season 3. I hate watching the show after 'The Castle of Fyrien.' I personally feel that the writers did not do Morgause justice. That final storyline for Morgause could have been something spectacular but it did not feel that way to me. Nevertheless, 'The Sins of the Father' and 'The Fires of Idhirsholas' remain my favourite episodes.

What are your favourite Emilia Fox roles?


Comments

Popular Posts