BOOK SERIES THAT I HAVEN'T FINISHED


I am guilty of beginning a book series and liking it enough to want to continue it but not enough to continue reading it immediately. However, I am definitely guilty of buying the rest of the series and then let it collect dust on my bookshelves...Yup. Guilty as charged. There are a lot of book series that I have begun, bought but have not finished. Judge me as you wish. 

DISCLAIMER: I am only including the book series that have all of its books published and is complete. I am not including any ongoing book series. If a book series has been expanded upon with a new trilogy, I will include the original trilogy. I will also not be including novellas. My blog, my rules, ha. 
The books that I have read are in colour and the books that I haven't read are in black and white. Simples. 

SNOW LIKE ASHES - SARA RAASCH
I remember that this was one of the first book series that I heard about through Hailey In Bookland's YouTube channel back in 2017. I was captivated by the design of the book cover. As I read book one, I was enthralled by the world. It reminded me of another Fantasy book a little bit here and there but I still enjoyed its own uniqueness. Any time I saw a subsequent sequel in Waterstone's, I bought it. I actually remember buying the third book before I bought the second one. I've been meaning to continue with this series. 


RED RISING - PIERCE BROWN
I have read the first two books in the original 'Red Rising' trilogy. I absolutely loved the first book. I loved the whole premise of it and I was onboard that journey with Darrow. I couldn't believe what happened to Darrow at the beginning of the book and then what happened to him throughout the book. It was undeniably gripping. I couldn't stop listening to the audiobook. It then took me a while to find my feet with 'Golden Son'. It took me a while to figure out how much time had passed between book one and book two and to figure out who was what and where and why. It just took a moment. I didn't think it was as gripping as 'Red Rising', but it was still very intriguing. The ending of 'Golden Son' shocked me and I'm very much looking forward to reading 'Morning Star'. 


THRONE OF GLASS - SARAH J. MAAS
I've only just finished reading book 2 in this series. I read 'Throne of Glass' in 2020. I enjoyed it aside from SJM's overuse of 'the assassin', 'the assassin', 'the assassin', 'the assassin.' 


Then, I read 'House of Earth and Blood' and I was completely blown away by that. I knew that 'Throne of Glass' was Maas's debut novel and I had to keep reminding myself of that fact as I read it. I had read ACOTAR previous to TOG knew that I should give the rest of the series a chance. Especially since Brittany the Bibliophile loves this series. The way that she talks about it made me excited to continue. Plus, my best friend binged the whole series and loved it. She has me beyond excited to continue. I'm so glad that I did continued with the series because book two was definitely what I was looking for from what I had heard about this series. At publication, I'm waiting for my order of the whole series to arrive (menos the novella).


A COURT OF THORNS AND ROSES - SARAH J. MAAS
I'm not including Nesta's spin off series. I don't know why it has taken me so long to continue this series. I started book 2 last year but then a pre-order came in and I was just too excited for that that I set ACOMAF down. On a shallow note, I think I didn't continue it because I wanted the hardback editions. I have the UK paperbacks with ridiculously tight binding... and I'm also waiting for the announcement of a Collector's Edition of ACOMAF. I have the Collector's Edition of ACOTAR (don't look at me like that. Amazon had it on sale.)


DAUGHTER OF SMOKE AND BONE - LAINI TAYLOR
I have no excuse. But it is on my summer TBR. 


SHADES OF MAGIC - V.E. SCHWAB
My only excuse for this is that I haven't bought the UK Collector's Edition of 'A Conjuring of Light.'


THE KANE CHRONICLES - RICK RIORDAN
'The Throne of Fire' is half desaturated because I'm currently reading that book as I publish this post. Once I finish that, I'll probably just dive straight into 'The Serpent's Shadow.' I could include 'The Trials of Apollo' series in this post. I did start book 1 in that series but I put it down because I wasn't in the mood at the time. So technically, I didn't read it to start the series. I do own the first three books though. 


THE ILLUMINAE FILES - AMIE KAUFMAN & JAY KRISTOFF
Fun fact: the purchase of these books in hardback was one of my rewards for hitting a weight loss goal. Before I could order them, I put the weight back on and didn't feel like I 'deserved' the books. So, I only bought the first book. I loved the first book and I desperately want to continue with the series. But as you can see with this post, I have a lot of book series to finish (and this isn't even the in-progress book series.)

THE MEMOIRS OF LADY TRENT - MARIE BRENNAN
As a massive fan of 'Sanctuary,' I loved the first book in this series. The main character, Isabella, reminded me so much of Helen Magnus from 'Sanctuary.' I could easily imagine Helen and Isabella being friends and colleagues in this book series. Even the way that Lady Trent narrates her life, I could easily see her sitting down the afternoon tea with Magnus or giving a lecture that Magnus was present at. It was just brilliant. I have absolutely no excuse as to why I haven't continue with the series aside from the fact that it's not often in Waterstone's and I can never remember which book is the second title. I could easily buy the whole thing from Book Depository but there is something to be said for finding something that someone from the Internet recommended to you in your favourite book store. You know? I definitely hope to finish this series one day. 


THE CEMETERY OF FORGOTTEN BOOKS - CARLOS RUIZ ZAFÓN
These books are incredible. They are dense, yes. But they are incredibly enthralling. I read the first two books through audiobooks and I lost myself in both of them. Like with every book series, I'm guilty of starting one, to dip my toe in to see if I like it and then instead of binging the series, I sample something else. I need to keep going with this book series because it is so atmospheric and captivating. The twists and turns are unlike anything that I've experienced from a book series that isn't in the Fantasy genre. There is a slight Fantastical element to the books but it is largely historical fiction and it just sucks you in. 


THE CHRONICLES OF PRYDAIN - LLOYD ALEXANDER
This is the book series that Disney used as the inspiration for 'The Black Cauldron.' It is one of Disney's darker animated movies but one of my favourites. I loved it as a child and I love it more as an adult. Even though the movie is called 'The Black Cauldron,' it actually follows the events of book one, 'The Book of Three.' I only found that out when I read it. I haven't continued on with the series because I haven't found a matching set of books. A fickle reason, I know, but it's the truth. I did see a hardback edition in an Oxfam bookshop but it only had books one and three. I found that very odd, so I didn't buy them. 


DARK ARTS - DAVID MACK
This is a lesser known Fantasy series. I only know of it because of the author; David Mack. Mack is an author most associated with Star Trek novels. I've read several by him and have loved each and every one of them. So, when I heard that he was creating his own book series that had magic during WWII, I signed myself up immediately for it. I even made sure that I bought the second book when I was in the US in 2019. This story follows Cade as he discovers that he is a sorcerer after his parents are brutally murdered. To wield vengeance against the Nazi sorcerers responsible, he has to become an apprentice of The Midnight Front - a top secret magickal warfare program. It's not all spells and incantations or wingardium leviOsa, he has to channel demons themselves and travel across Occupied Europe. Book One was amazing and had one of the most harrowing scenes that I've ever read in a WWII based fictional book. Book Two takes place during the aftermath of WWII in 1954 as Cade hunts down Nazis. I enjoyed it but I didn't feel that it lived up to the energy of book one. Book Three is set right after the assassination of JFK and a number of mages are murdered. It sounds brilliant and I cannot wait to get to it. 


LIGHTBRINGER - BRENT WEEKS
I started this book series last year. I absolutely loved 'The Black Prism'. It introduced me to a magic system that I loved, a Chosen One that is beyond physically ideal to be the Chosen One, and some of the most incredible characters that I'm already so attached to. I listened to the first book through audiobook despite finding books 2 and 3 in a used bookstore in Killarney. I had wanted to read the series so why not get nice tall paperback editions? It made sense at the time. As I said, I loved book one and am very much looking forward to moving to book two. Soon. I need to know more about Karris.


Wow. That was quite the indictment to myself. There are a lot of book series that I've started but haven't finished. Plus, these are the ones that are completed. Oh boy. I have a lot of reading to do. 


Comments

Popular Posts