BOOKS I WANT TO READ IN JULY

Photo by Asal Lotfi on Unsplash

I'm not going to set myself an overly ambitious TBR because July is going to be a very exciting and nerve-wrecking month. I am leaving my job of (almost) eleven years for a new career and (I'm not going to lie) I'm quite nervous. I'm excited for the prospect of an actual career. I didn't see myself ever advancing in my current job and this application for this new job has been ongoing since December 2019. Thank you, world pandemic times. 

Nevertheless, I will still be reading and drawing because I will have a commute for the first time since my university days. I will undoubtedly be spending that time reading, drawing or sleeping. Let's face it, I'll probably be sleeping on one part of the journey. Plus, we all know that I have books to read, so let's talk about the books that I would like to read in July. 


QUEEN OF SHADOWS & EMPIRE OF STORMS
(THRONE OF GLASS BOOKS 4 & 5)
AUTHOR: SARAH J. MAAS
Ideally, I would love to read the rest of the 'Throne of Glass' series in July. I would binge the whole thing. That would be the dream. In between jobs, I will have a week free to read (and prepare myself for the new job, of course) and draw until my heart's content. I could definitely make a dent in this series this month. Who knows? I downloaded the audiobook for book 4 and listened to almost 400 pages in a day. I may get all of them on audio and just binge-listen to them as I draw and commute. 

CHAIN OF IRON
(THE DARK HOURS BOOKS 2)
AUTHOR: CASSANDRA CLARE
GENRE: YOUNG ADULT FANTASY
I read the first book in this new trilogy from Cassandra Clare last year after binging The Infernal Devices and the first half of The Mortal Instruments. The Mortal Instruments was not for me. I enjoyed aspects of it but Clary and Jace were the most disgusting romance to read about. I did not like them as people, never mind as a couple. However, I did love The Infernal Devices trilogy a lot more. I wasn't the biggest fan of Tessa and Will. I loved Charlotte more than anyone else. She reminded me of Helen Magnus from Sanctuary and it was set in that era so it was definitely my cup of tea. Chain of Gold was definitely a good staging book for this trilogy. I enjoyed it and found myself reading well into the night (I was on night shift thanks to the pandemic last year). I gave book one 4 stars and I'm very much looking forward to reading the next installment and to see where this series takes these kids. 

STAR WARS: INTO THE DARK
(STAR WARS: THE HIGH REPUBLIC)
AUTHOR: CLAUDIA GRAY
GENRE: SCIENCE FICTION
I have fallen back in love with Star Wars thanks to The Clone Wars animated series, The Mandalorian and The Bad Batch. I have loved Star Wars ever since I was a young girl and so these books were the perfect natural extension of that love. This 'High Republic' series is set 200 years before the events of 'The Phantom Menace' when the Jedi were the light in the galaxy. The books in the series are loosely connected, ranging in age from middle-grade to young adult. I have thoroughly enjoyed the first two books released for this series and I have been chomping at the bit to get to 'Into the Dark.' Gray wrote my favourite Star Wars book of all time, 'Bloodline' so I've very excited to get to this.  


DAYS OF BLOOD AND STARLIGHT
(DAUGHTER OF SMOKE AND BONE BOOK 2)
AUTHOR: LAINI TAYLOR
GENRE: YOUNG ADULT FANTASY
As I write this, I've listened to approximately five hours of the audiobook. Realistically, I should have read the first book again because I don't remember a lot of book one. I was able to piece together what happened but I was still quite confused. I will probably look book one up before continuing on with the audiobook. The rest of this series is on my TBR for the summer so I want to cross it off the list in July.



SHADOWS OF SELF
(MISTBORN BOOK 5)
AUTHOR: BRANDON SANDERSON
GENRE: ADULT FANTASY

I have started the audiobook for this book twice already. I'm not going to start it a third time but I do want to finish it. I have been loving this second generation of Mistborn. I loved the first book and the characters and I have enjoyed what I've listened to of book two. My attention span just wasn't there whenever I listened to the audiobook. I have since purchased the book so I may read and listen to the book when I get the chance in July. 


Those are just some of the books that I hope to get to in July. It's not my most ambitious TBR but it is ambitious enough. They aren't short books. Some are shorter than others but they're still chunky boys. Let me know what you hope to read in July. Have you read any of these books?


Comments

Popular Posts