BOOKS THAT I WANT TO READ AGAIN


February, March and April largely saw me reading two entire book series again. I read the entirety of Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children in anticipation of the final book, 'The Desolation of Devil's Acre.' Then, I started to read the Grisha books again in anticipation of the then upcoming Netflix adaptation, 'Shadow and Bone.' As I write this post, I'm currently working my way through 'Crooked Kingdom' by Leigh Bardugo. (But when I post it, I've finished everything, including the newest release, 'Rule of Wolves'). So, that got me to thinking...

What are some of the books that I would like to read again. 

STRANGE THE DEAMER - LAINI TAYLOR

I have been wanting to read this book again since the moment I finished it back in 2017. This is one of the books that I credit to my love of reading. I had enjoyed reading for years but this was the first book, after Miss Peregrine's, that really captured my imagination and had me hooked. It is a slow burn of a book, but deliciously so. I read the majority of this book in a villa in Portugal where I was simply relaxing by the pool or on the terrace. I loved everything about this book. It was the first time that I read anything of this calibre in Fantasy and my first time reading anything by Laini Taylor. The language that she used was beyond beautiful. I found myself getting completely lost in the narrative, even if I couldn't pronounce half of the words (but that's part of the fun of this book because it was so foreign and fantastical) and would love to read it again. I'm not 100% sure if I would read the sequel again, I wasn't so fond of it. I very much enjoyed it but it wasn't to same extent as the first book. 


CARAVAL - STEPHANIE GARBER

I initially read this book in 2017 and I devoured it. This was the first book that I devoured in 3 days. It took me no time to read. For me, that is a big deal. I'm not a fast reader. I was captivated by the journey that Scarlett had to go on to get her sister back. All of the twists and turns had me guessing right up to the very end. A number of them had me physically gasping as I read them. I also loved the little Spanish influences within the book. 

Also, it didn't help that I could see Morgause and Morgana parallels within the sisters so that I was imagining Emilia Fox and Katie McGrath in the roles. 

Like with the previously mentioned book, I don't think that I would read the whole series again. I loved Caraval, enjoyed Legendary but hated Finale. If I did read these books again, I would read the first two books. 


VICIOUS & VENGEFUL - V.E.SCHWAB

This book series is one that has had me on tenterbooks since the very beginning. Book two will always be my favourite, so far, but to read it from the beginning again would be wonderful. I love the characters that Schwab introduces in this book and the journey that they go on. They are some of the most complex and morally grey characters that I've had the pleasure of reading. I would definitely read this again tomorrow if I didn't have so many books judging me from my TBR pile. 

Maybe just 'Vengeful'. 

My TBR wouldn't look at me so disdainfully if I just read 'Vengeful'. It'll understand because Marcella... Marcella. That is all. 


BLOODLINE - CLAUDIA GRAY

I credit Bloodline with being the Star Wars book that gave me everything that I had ever wanted from Leia. It gave me the fallout of the Senate finding out that Senator Organa was the daughter of Darth Vader and how that impacted her standing. 

And, she's a bit of badass in this book. For the age that Leia is in this book, she is more active than I am and more active than she was in any of the Star Wars movies.

I couldn't put this down when I originally read it. I loved that it was so much about Leia and that it set the groundwork for the new sequel movie, 'The Force Awakens.' It just touches upon it and that was enough. I would love to read this again and to experience everything with knowing eyes, especially a certain highlight where a certain flyboy swoops in to save the day. *Chef's kiss*


MARINA - CARLOS RUIZ ZÁFON

This book. GAH. This beautiful book. This. Beautiful. Book. This was the first book that I read by Ruíz Záfon and it was beautiful. Marina is his only Young Adult novel but it does not read that way. It is beautifully translated by Lucia Graves (but I would love to read it in Spanish one day). Ruíz Záfon paints with words. That's all I can say. He paints Barcelona so beautifully that I can feel the humidity on my skin, I can feel the fog in my hair, I can feel my heart racing as Oscar sneaks into the house, I can feel the fire on my face. I loved this book the first time I read it and I haven't stopped singing its praises since. I don't know why I haven't read it again before now, but I honestly want to get this post over with and go curl up with it, even if the sun is splitting the sky outside and this is definitely a dark, rainy day, sat-by-the-fire read. 


INKWORLD SERIES - CORNELIA FUNKE

I tell people that this is a book series for book readers. The way that the characters and Cornelia Funke talk about books is exactly how a reader feels about books. I love that the ways that the characters revere books, how they collect them and how much love and care they put into books and how much they take from books and how much books influence them is exactly how I feel. Inkheart will always be my favourite installment in this series. I love the journey that these characters go on, the actual journey. They practically go up and down the coast of Italy. I was there along for the ride. I was buckled up in my seat and letting the wind rush in the car window. I was there. 

It is a magical book series that I would read again and again and again. And also repurchase again and again....and again. Not sorry. Sorry, bank account. Even if it is a 'young' book (the 9-12 age group in Waterstone's), I loved it reading it for the first time as an adult. 


RENEGADES - MARISSA MEYER

This book series is almost perfection. The first and third books are perfection. The second one could've been better and not been such a 'staging' book. Nevertheless, this book series is amazing. I devoured this books like nothing else, especially books 1 and 3. You dared not speak to me when I was reading these. These are Marvel level superhero novels. I honestly wanted these turned into a movie. Not a series. A two-part movie. I could easily see it as I read it. Marissa is very specific with her words. Every word is chosen with intent. If it is printed, it is there for a reason. Nothing is out of place or superfluous. I LOVE beyond words when authors do that. 

I really want to go on this adventure again with Nova, right from the beginning to the end (which was left wide open for more books). 


MATILDA - ROALD DAHL

I have read and read Matilda several times. I own several copies of it and I have it ordered in Spanish. Maybe when the Spanish edition finally arrives, I'll read it again, just in a different language. 

DANNY THE CHAMPION OF THE WORLD - ROALD DAHL

I read this book back when I was in Primary School. I can't particularly remember the year I was in when I read it but I remember enjoying it. It has actually been sitting in the 'save later' part of my Amazon basket for the better part of a year. Maybe I should just get it and read it again. 


THE SEVEN HUSBANDS OF EVELYN HUGO - TAYLOR JENKINS REID

Like with Matilda, I have read this book a couple of times already. I think 3 times at last count. What harm could a fourth do? I love this story so much. I loved it the first time that I read it and I loved it the third time that I read. I will love it the fourth time that I read it and the tenth time that I read it. Let's face it, I will read this ten times and more. 






THE ARC OF THE SCYTHE - NEAL SHUSTERMAN

I loved this book series when I read it. The twists and turns that this book took had me practically cemented to my earphones as I listened to the audiobook. I needed to know what happened next and what happened after that and what happened after that. It was a complete and utter whirlwind.

The whole concept and execution (pardon the pun) of this series was so unique. I had never read anything like it. I had never encountered characters like these before and I loved it. I will say that I was a little disappointed in the ending of the series but I still loved every other part of it. I would happily dive right back into this. 


JACKDAWS - KEN FOLLETT

This should come as no surprise. 

I fell in love with the audiobook of this. Narrator, Emilia Fox, did an amazing job at bringing this book to life. I was captivated from the very beginning to the very end. I was so captivated that I bought a copy of it. If I read it again, I don't know if I would read it physically or go down the audiobook route again. 

Now that I think about it, I think that I would physically read it. As much as the audiobook did have an impact, there is something to be said about reading a WWII book traditionally. I wanted to really feel how fallible these characters are and see how I interpret the dialogue as I read it. 


REBECCA - DAPHNE DU MAURIER

I purely want to read this again from the standpoint of knowing what happens and how that influences how I read the beginning of the book. If you've read 'Rebecca', you know what happens. When I first read it, I actually wanted to stop reading it. I hated how Max was treating the heroine, I hated how the housekeeper was so obsessive over Rebecca and how cruel she was to the heroine. But now, knowing what I know, I would love to read it again with that mindset of understanding why they were so cruel and stand offish. It would definitely make for a compelling read. 


There you have, the books that I would love to read again if my TBR pile would stop judging me. I honestly felt the judgement when I was reading Miss Peregrine's and the Grisha book again. 

Do you have any books that you would read again for the second time or the fifth time? Let me know in the comments and have a wonderful day.

Comments

Popular Posts