BOOKS I WANT TO READ BY THE END OF THE YEAR


At the beginning of the year, I set my reading goal at 52 books which would essentially work out as a book a week. As I type this, I have read 48 books, which according to Goodreads puts me 13 books ahead of schedule. As long as I'm ahead of schedule, I'm happy. My reading mood has been up and down this year. There have been times where I've devoured tomes and other times where I can barely get through a 200 page book. But there are books that I want to get to by the end of the year for one reason of the other. One reason being that these books have sat on my bookshelves for too long or that they are new releases that I want to read as soon as possible. So, let's talk about them...



NEVERNIGHT - JAY KRISTOFF
I have had this book since 2017 and I till haven't read it. I've been meaning to. I keep telling myself that I will read it every other month since I bought it. At the moment, it is loaned out to a colleague and she hasn't finished it. I'll have to tell her to 'snap to it, already.' Everything about it sounds like something that I want to read; assassin school, revenge, a snarky cat? Sold. I know that this book is a Marmite type of book; you either love it or you hate it. Also, I own the entire trilogy so I might as well read it, right?

A GATHERING OF SHADOWS - V.E. SCHWAB
Ironically, this is the book that I started to read the day that I drafted this post. I was reading another book but it wasn't holding my attention or desire to read it. So, I put it on the back burner and picked up 'A Gathering of Shadows.' I'm so glad that I did because I am loving it already (70 pages in when I'm writing this). I loved 'A Darker Shade of Magic' when I read it a few years ago. I'm kicking myself for waiting so long to continue on with the series. Starting 'A Gathering of Shadows' felt like slipping on a pair of familiar shoes. I quickly found my stride with this book and I cannot wait to continue reading it tonight. 

THE INVISIBLE LIFE OF ADDIE LA RUE - V.E. SCHWAB
This book has been in the mind of V.E. Schwab for over eight years and she only felt confident in writing it now. I cannot wait to read this. A story about a girl who makes a Faustian deal with the Devil to live forever but in return, is doomed to be forgotten by anyone that meets her. However, after 300 years, someone remembers her name. It seems like it's going to be an incredible story that spans centuries. Though I'm surprised that it's only 448 pages long. I think that it'll remind me, in part, of Matt Haig's 'How to Stop Time'. I have loved everything that I've read by Schwab before and I know that 'Addie' will be no different. 



A COURT OF MIST AND FURY - SARAH J. MAAS
I wanted to read this book back in May but never got around to it. I read the first chapter and remembered why I loved Maas' books and why I liked this series to begin with. I read ACOTAR a few years ago and just like a lot of book series, I didn't continue because there were so many other books that I wanted to read. ACOMAF is named as the favourite book in the series by a number of book influencers and so I'm hoping to add it to my list. 

MORNING STAR - PIERCE BROWN
I recently finished listening to the audiobook for 'Golden Son' which is the second book in the 'Red Rising' trilogy. 'Morning Star' is book three and the finale to the original trilogy; Pierce Brown has since released a second trilogy. I enjoyed the first two books immensely and I want to finish the trilogy by the end of the year. Also, I want to own the trilogy by the end of the year because I may wish to physically read the final book.

A DANCE WITH DRAGONS - GEORGE R.R. MARTIN
In January 2019, I set myself to task to finally finish reading 'A Dance with Dragons.' I read 90% of the book when it was originally released. For some reason, I stopped reading it with 100 pages to go and never went back to it. I started listening to the audiobook last year in hopes of catching up to where I left off and finally finish the book. I hated the audiobook. I couldn't stand it and so stopped listening to it and thus stopped my reading of the book. It has sat too long on my bookshelves as unread so I want to change that. I won't be reading all 1,000+ pages again, mind. Just the second half.



GRAVE MERCY - ROBIN LA FEVERS
A Nun assassin training school? Vengeance wielder for the God of Death? This sounds dark. This sounds grim. This sounds amazing. 

PAWN OF PROPHECY - DAVID EDDINGS
This is book one of the Belgariad series. Zoe's Dad (Read by Zoe on YouTube) counted this book series as one of his favourites. Earlier this year, I wanted to read books that featured strong sorceresses or magical entities. Merlin was on TV again and I love Morgause beyond reason and I wanted a book that would give me what I wanted for Morgause. This whole series sounds like it'll give me just that and more. I'm really looking forward to reading this. 

THE WIZARD OF EARTHSEA - URSULA K. LE GUIN
I own the illustrated bind-up The Books of Earthsea edition. I doubt that I will read the whole book but I would like to read the first book in the series. Magic, unleashed shadow on the world and dragons? It's a beloved series and I hope that I enjoy it just as much. 



KINGDOM OF THE WICKED - KERRI MANISCALCO
Twin witches (one called Emilia), a brutal murder, vengeance, a Prince of Hell, and an Italian setting? Where do I get in line to read this book? This sounds amazing. I previously read 'Stalking Jack the Ripper' by Maniscalco and thoroughly enjoyed it. This book, however, sounds amazing. People have been singing its praises online. They have been loving the Advanced Reader Copy and I cannot wait to get my hands on this. It's released in November so I'll be chomping at the bit to start it and devour it.

ANGEL MAGE - GARTH NIX
I have not read a single book by Garth Nix and I will admit that this book was a complete impulse buy when left unattended in Waterstone's one day. The cover enticed me in. I'm still not 100% certain what this book is about. The synopsis intrigues me; angel magic, manipulation, and a band of misfits. I would like to read this soon just to see what it is actually about. 

THE INSTITUTE - STEPHEN KING
The synopsis of this book made me think of 'The Darkest Minds' by Alexandra Bracken but that this would be a more grown-up version. I did like 'The Darkest Minds' on paper. When I read it, the first 50 pages were brilliant and then it started to go downhill from there. I feel that 'The Institute' will give me what I wanted from 'The Darkest Minds'. Or at least, I hope that it does. It involved an institute where children have special abilities, telekinesis, telepathy etc, but the director and her staff are dedicated to extracting those abilities. The young characters are then forced to escape but no-one has ever escaped from the institute. It feels like it's what the Cabal from Sanctuary were doing in their dark little corner of Old City. 



THE LAST WISH - ANDRZEJ SPAKOWSKI
Might as well jump on the bandwagon at some point, right? I haven't watched the Netflix show (yet) and know very little about the series except that it involves supernatural creatures (gnomes, elves, dwarves) and a guy called Geralt who is a Witcher which is an assassin. That's all I know. Oh, and that there is a kick-ass character called Yennifer who is a sorceress. That's it. That's all I know. 

THE ABYSS BEYOND DREAMS - PETER F. HAMILTON
I got this for £1 in Poundland. It involves space. It's a science-fiction book. The synopsis makes me think that it's going to be a heavy science-fiction book and I'm looking forward to that. I don't read a lot of science-fiction books, I lean more towards Fantasy than Science-Fiction but I'm looking forward to changing things up a bit. It sounds intriguing nevertheless. 

CROWN OF MIDNIGHT - SARAH S. MAAS
This is book two in the 'Throne of Glass' series. I read the first book earlier this year and enjoyed it. It wasn't anything spectacular, however. I feel like it was a good first book and that it would set up the series nicely. I definitely want to see how this series progresses. I didn't particularly like Maas' writing style in 'Throne of Glass' but it was her debut novel, after all. But what convinced me to continue was 'House of Earth and Blood:' Maas' latest publication. I listened to the audiobook and fell in love with it. I felt that Maas' writing style was brilliant in that book compared to 'Throne of Glass.' I hope to see how her writing style progresses throughout the 'Throne of Glass' series and I look forward to seeing what Celaena gets up to next and who she meets along the way. 


LITTLE WOMEN - LOUISA MAY ALCOTT
I started reading this book last year as part of a 'Fangirl Reading Month.' Katharine Hepburn starred as Jo March in an early adaptation of the novel and I wanted to read the book. Critics have said that Jo is the perfect character for Katharine Hepburn to play and I wanted to see that for myself. I started reading it towards the end of the 'Fangirl Reading Month' and so stopped reading it after the first chapter. That was a stupid reason to stop reading so I would like to read it this as soon as possible. 

PERSUASION - JANE AUSTEN
This would be a third reading for me. I read it twice in my first year of university (one being the first read through for class and the second being for an essay). I remembering liking this book when I originally read it 13 years ago. I read 'Pride and Prejudice' for the first time in March of this year and it made me want to read more books by Jane Austen. Why not start where I left off? 

P.S. I LOVE YOU - CECELIA AHERN
Okay, this is the book that I said earlier that I put on the back-burner. It is a favourite book of one of my best-friends and since my Mum had a copy of it, I thought that I would read it. I'm about 150 pages in and it hasn't grabbed my attention enough for my liking. It's not the typical book that I tend to gravitate towards. I mean, just look at the amount of Fantasy books that I've listed above. It is a cute book nevertheless. I am enjoying it but it's not grabbing my attention to call me to read it when I set it down. I will finish it eventually. 



HOME WORK - JULIE ANDREWS & EMMA WALTON HAMILTON
I really wanted to jump into this the moment that I bought it last year. I can't think of what prevented me from reading it. Yes, I do, actually. I was in the Reading Slump of Doom at the time. I only managed to shake that towards the end of 2019. I want to fix that this year. 

ROYAL - DANIELLE STEEL
My Mum loves Danielle Steel books and Steel has been churning them out like crazy over the past two years. 'Royal' is one that I am very intrigued to read. Set during World War II, Princess Charlotte is evacuated to a well-to-do family in the country due to her fragile health. Under an assumed identity, she settles into life in the countryside and falls in love. It sounds interesting and my Mum loved it. Again, not necessarily a book that I would tend to gravitate towards but I've loved Steel's books in the past and I want to read them with my Mum. 

THE LOST GIRLS OF PARIS - PAM JENOFF
I bought this book on a whim when I was in Barnes & Noble in New York City. I wanted to get a certain amount of books. I lifted the ones that I had on my list and I wanted something else as well. This book jumped out at me. The synopsis sounded interesting; a mysterious suitcase, twelve photographs, a ring of female secret agents, Occupied Europe, and a mesmerizing tale of courage and the strength of women during one of the hardest periods in history. Why haven't I picked it up already? The spine stares at me every day from my bookcase. Get your act together already, Kazzie! Jeez! It gives me some 'Jackdaws' vibes and that is one of my favourite books so I need to get on this as soon as possible. 


Naturally, my end of year TBR is not limited to just the books featured in this post and I know that I will not get to every single one of these books but it's a nice stepping-off point because I know that these books are the ones that I want to prioritise. If I get them all, happy days. If I don't? It's not the end of the world. Technically, to reach my goal, I only need to read 4 of them. I could change my reading goal but you never know when a reading slump will smother you. 

Do you have any books that you would like to read by the end of the year?


Comments

Popular Posts